August 09, 2013

A Breathing Earth

Mesmerizing and lovely. And made by a fellow midwestern User Experience professional. (Yay!)

Made possible by the tremendous folks of the NASA Visible Earth team, I downloaded the twelve cloud-free satellite imagery mosaics of Earth ("Blue Marble Next Generation") at each month of the year.  I wrapped them into some fun projections then stitched them together into a couple animated gifs... 

Having spent much of my life living near the center of that mitten-shaped peninsula in North America, I have had a consistent seasonal metronome through which I track the years of my life. When I stitch together what can be an impersonal snapshot of an entire planet, all of the sudden I see a thing with a heartbeat. 



UXBlog | IDV Solutions' User Experience: A Breathing Earth

No comments: