September 16, 2009

Pentagram's War Memorial for the London Science Museum.

With the adulation Pentagram's receives, I always expect to find them mailing it in on a project. I click, then sit back in my chair with my arms folded, like, "Okay, this is it. You're finally going to disappoint me." Yet, they never do. I always find their designs (like that below) thoughtful, beautiful, interesting and inspiring. If history doesn't treat them as a major design force of the late 20th/early 21st century, it will be a shock and a shame.




The wall-mounted war memorial designed by Harry Pearce for the London Science Museum is a reverential and sober tribute to those employees of the Museum that fell in the First and Second World Wars. The plaque is made from a single piece of cast iron layered with typographic interventions that are powerful in their simplicity. Each layer represents a world war with ‘19’ serving as a link between the two sets of dates ‘14-18’ and ‘39-45’. A single cross is cut through both layers.

New Work: War Memorial for the London Science Museum | New at Pentagram | Pentagram

(via @cunabula)

No comments: