January 09, 2008

Now this man knows how to write a headline.

American kids, dumber than dirt

Warning: The next generation might just be the biggest pile of idiots in U.S. history

Read the story here

p.s. It reminded me of this drawing by Marc Johns.


gigi said...


that article is supremely harsh.

thanks for the post and for tempering it with a little bit of humor!

BB said...

Yes, it's definitely harsh. Like the author, I've seen plenty of bright, game-playing, TV-watching 20-somethings come into our company with serious brains and skills. And, even though I'm a card-carrying member of the TV addict society, I don't think I'm too terribly damaged. But, with teachers in my family, I did find the cries of despair a bit familiar. Literacy and critical thinking skills really are plummeting. I think posts like this really help spotlight the problems - especially with this insane testing obsession. It definitely seems like that needs to change drastically before the system will get any better.

But, that aside - I just really, really love that headline.

Von Herwig said...

They expect me to read all those fancy words? Is there a podcast version?

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.