February 11, 2008

Tiny Buildings.





In the 1970s, when our children were young, my husband, James Mount, started a collection of tiny buildings - made from odds-and-ends cardboard packaging. The original idea was for them to be Christmas decorations - to be placed over tiny white lights on our tree, or to gather on a side table as a little village. Each holiday, James would add to our collection. A few were given to friends, but most rested in an attic-stored box through most of the year...escaping for Christmas, to our delight.

Because the tiny buildings were made from familiar boxes, or restaurant business cards, or other pieces collected as we traveled and lived, they became miniature memoirs of happy times and places.

Many years later, in 2000 or so, ten years after James' death, I started to add to the collection. I gathered cards from the many stores and restaurants and fun places that Jane and Madison, our now-grown children, and I visited, and gave them to each of them for Christmas presents.

Tiny Buildings by Sharon Mount

(via Rag & Bone)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so great! It's hard to see them as tiny until you register that most of the roofs are made from business cards. I think I might have to attempt some of these myself for my kids, or just for me. Thanks for the link.

Julie R said...

i am so so in love with these! thank you.

Anonymous said...

very cool, and made with very tiny hands. thanks for showing!

SeƱorita Puri said...

What a lovely idea! I've posted you and the link in my blog. Wavings from spain!
Puri