October 24, 2003

So incredibly sad.

I was out with my friends tonight when I heard about Elliott Smith's suicide. I've been locked up in conference rooms or on the road for two days and hadn't heard.

Wow.

When I was surfing around trying to find out more information, I ran across this. First, I was surprised to find that Margaret Cho (yes, Bradley -- the comedienne) has a blog. Second, I was surprised to find out she's such a big Elliott Smith fan. Third, this bit of what she wrote (below) is exactly what I'd love to hear if I was a singer/songwriter. I wonder if he had any idea the incredibly tender feelings his music provoked in people?

One time I was in Portland on tour, an early morning before I was about to leave for home and I walked into a bagel shop. You were there, not in person, but your record was playing. The sleepy, baby cute hippie kid behind the counter was singing along to you, quiet just like you, and he knew every word. There was another raggedy girl cleaning up tables behind me, and she was singing too. Then this other kid came into the shop, and waited in line, and he was singing - as if on cue, a little off key, but almost in harmony. Pretty soon, so was I. But we were all in our own private worlds, our voices barely audible, singing only for ourselves. Were you singing for yourself? I hope so. I hope that you could love your music like it was loved by everyone else.

Margaret Cho BLOG

No comments: